SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
1,705ʜs
HS

Campion

Warden of the Isles

CAMPION

It's just a day or so after his spar with Liraeth. Honestly, he's not sure how much time has passed - the only thing he is sure of is the way his body aches and that he hadn't felt such a feeling in a good while. But it was a good feeling regardless, and good to know the feeling of actually working, of pressing his body further. After all, with what his plans were, he'd need to be used to it.

He's settled just outside of Morthalion's walls, settled just shy of a spare tree within the clearing looking out to the lands that spread from there. Feeling the soft grass is somehow easier than his own bed by now, and he's not sure if it's his own inner expectations to his future that are carefully construing his interests to his plans or if it's genuine, but he doesn't care to think of it. He's simply happy taking it for what it is that allows him a reprieve and a place to rest his bones.

So lost in thoughts, as usual lately, that he likely doesn't pick up on the approaching hoof-falls of a known face that could very well have been a stranger for all he knew, focused too much on his drooping eyelids, the shade keeping him well-hidden from the sun, and the quiet day it's been so far.

i'm sry it's so short i cry

Word Count
Tagged
@Aylin

!! this table contains a hidden scrollbox !!

5.5  9.5  8  68 
ATKDEFDAMHP
 Pegasus 
SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
960ʜs
HS

Aylin

Warden of the Isles

aylin

It had been roughly a week since their prior arrangements, and Aylin had spent that time constructively. She was exhausted, a moon adamant in lingering within the skies day and night, she had scarcely found time to sleep in her urgent search for what last bits of information she could scrap together before their departure. And my, what she had learned. The silver mare had admittedly been within Morthalion for the past day, at the very least, though largely keeping to herself to avoid the bulk of crowds. No matter her distaste for the modern life, the shopkeeps and the inns, she had on one occurrence found herself longingly eyeing a sheer, violet hood and cloak, embroidered in gold with bits of jewelry dangling from every shawl.

Oh, how she had wanted it.

Though she had never been especially fond of tacky adornments, and thought it to be a superfluous decor given their impending journey (and moreover, one she entirely lacked the money for,) she could not help but feel a particular calling to the outfit. A new age of herself to usher in, a new idea. Perhaps that was what she needed. A guise to hide behind, a reputation she could mold within Eventide.

But that was all wishful thinking.

What coin she had was spent scrounging together a few pieces of paper to hurriedly scrawl notes on, as well as a few snacks for the journey. Her priority was knowledge, even so, and hours were spent pouring over minuscule details pertaining to Eastwatch, Halla's Path, and what they would find when they arrived in Ard Maleficar. Only when she was certain her mind was brimming with certainty did she began to search for Campion within the walls.

She searched within the immediate city for some time, earning suspicious glances from shopkeeps and bystanding gentlefolk as she nosily snooped around every corner and crevice.

Men!

When it seemed apparent the Morthalion warrior was no where in her vicinity, she incidentally made for outside the primary encampment, where she found a familiar chestnut body lazing in the sun. Squinting, the mare deliberated in uncertainty if it was truly him, but she was not one to shy away from a stranger, regardless. Sauntering over, her pace quickened when she realized he was injured - and even more so when she realized it was him.

Whether he noticed her approach or not, she spoke up quickly. "I leave you be for a week and here you are, scrapped up! How in the world do you get by?" she admonished, shaking her head. The glitter in her eyes showed something more, however - as though her disapproval was a farce. No matter her concern for him, Aylin did not judge him in the slightest. If anything, she was amused - perhaps happy for him. His wounds did not indicate some brutal battle; a spar if anything, or a winning match against the opponents of Nordlys. Whatever the case, he seemed relatively at peace.

That did not halt her worry, however.

"Are you alright, Campion?" she sighed, snorting gently and moving to stand nearer to his head, her brow furrowed as she regarded him. Admittedly, a flash of thought flooded between her ears, and a look of dismay flickered across her features. "Are you still well enough to trav- oh, nevermind that, Aylin," she scoffed to herself, rolling her eyes, "have you tended to those?"

Tagged: @Campion | Words: 568| speech

RAY-GUNZ

5.5  9  8  68 
ATKDEFDAMHP
 Equine 
SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
1,705ʜs
HS

Campion

Warden of the Isles

CAMPION

Still settled in thought, he doesn't notice the mare's upcoming approach. Not until he's nearly allowing his eyes to shut and then suddenly -

I leave you be for a week and here you are, scrapped up! How in the world do you get by?

Eyes fly open, blinking away the sleep the gentle warmth and soreness had provided and he's jolting up onto all fours - a bad move. A wince, forced to lean against the tree with his good shoulder while making a turn in Aylin's direction, though she's already moved around by his front. He has to take a moment to even make sure he heard her words right, but as he hadn't been paying much attention until the last word, really, he's at a loss for an answer to her question. Campion simply blinks both the sleep out of the eyes and the confusion in, at least until her next, more reliable question to his ears comes.

"I'm alright. T'was merely a spar - a good one," he smiles gently, rolls a shoulder to accompany a little wince he tries to brush off smoothly. "Ah, I waded in some water, if that's what you..." Honestly, while he knows what should be done to any kind of wound, or what has been done in the past, he can't - and doesn't - remember the specifics of how medicine, poultice, remedies are made. Still, these wounds were small compared to what they could be.

Or at least that's what he'll tell himself.

All he felt he needed was to wade through some water, let them flush out in that way, though it's clear he's waiting for some kind of approval or denial to his method of approach. Which, he can already somewhat expect the latter reaction from her. She was more interested in plants and herbs, after all.

why does cissy need to proverbially smite me with her 500+ word posts while i'm here just tryna get by and live a humble life with my 300 ones

Word Count
Tagged
@Aylin

(This post was last modified: 09-07-2018, 03:18 AM by Campion.)

5.5  9.5  8  68 
ATKDEFDAMHP
 Pegasus 
SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
960ʜs
HS

Aylin

Warden of the Isles

aylin

She laughed softly, though shook her head as he rushed to all fours. "I am sorry, I did not mean to startle you - settle back down," Aylin regarded the weary stallion fondly. She could understand, undoubtedly. Bathing in sun rays was something that would lull anyone into a stupor, and she was as guilty as he was of sprawling among an emerald bed of grass, tickled by the blades and cradled by the crust of the earth. It could pull anyone into a slumber.

It was for that reason that she had never truly been fond of beds. Sure, they had their perks in the winter nights, but Aylin was fonder of the shelter of trees and the hearth of wind-shielded caves. It was perhaps for this reason that, where he lay sprawled beneath the eclipse of a stretching tree, she found him endearing.

Whether he lay back down or resumed standing, the pegasus listened attentively to his words. "Good," she remarked, conversational in her brief interjection as he continued. A guffaw of laughter quickly bubbled from her lips.

"For Halla's sake, Campion! Perhaps I ought to show you how I spar, then, with herbs and healing," 'tsking' gently in disapproval, she shook her head. "I suppose they are superficial enough that flushing them in water is suitable, and I do not have any immediate access to anything to make something more helpful, so perhaps when we arrive at the waterline of the sea you shall simply have to let the salt dig out the grit of infection. Then, you will look to me and say, 'Aylin, in the future, I will not spar days before our great journey that you were oh so excited about,' and I will say, 'Wonderful, Campion! Otherwise, the next time you were roughed up, it would likely be because I beat the silly stuffing out of you!' and you would say - ah, you get the picture," she babbled on, snorting softly before she regarded him with a grin and a brief wink. "I do hope you are alright, though, truly. Spar or not." Just as she hoped, whomever his opponent was, was not stumbling around too sorely either.

Pausing to catch her breath from the good-natured tirade, she regarded him more seriously before. "I have compiled a bit of information regarding how we will be getting to Ard Maleficar. There is a land bridge just past Eastwatch, known as Halla's Path," Aylin glanced over her shoulder in the general direction of the far off island. "It should be a safe and shallow enough route for us to both safely maneuver through. And, if not, I suppose I will just have to toss you over my shoulder, like a damsel in distress, and fly off." Again, she chuckled, and her exuberant spirits were obvious in all her words.

Moving to stand a bit more in the shade, she glanced back towards Morthalion. "I have heard rumors, however, within the city walls, and I wanted to ask you - what is a snatcher?" the question came abruptly, her brow drawn together as she sobered once more. "I know their name, but... I am not as familiar with them as I feel I should be, considering the lingering fear in the eyes of the people here."

Tagged: @Campion | Words: 548 | speech | Notes: im sorry she TALKS SO MUCH

RAY-GUNZ

5.5  9  8  68 
ATKDEFDAMHP
 Equine 
SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
1,705ʜs
HS

Campion

Warden of the Isles

CAMPION

Ah, yes. There are the words that he expected to come.

He doesn't settle down again as she continues, despite the invitation - part of him is worried he won't get up next time and she'd have a deadweight to talk at. It also feels almost... Easier to endure the pain while she speaks. And continues to speak. A soft chuckle here and there, but his replies are otherwise absent from him, at least until he knows she's finished.

"You cannot fight with herbs and healing." His words drip amusement and it's clear part of the source of his chuckling earlier was indeed that phrase. Genuinely, from what image comes to his mind immediately, he cannot see how throwing a few leaves and ferns at another would do damage. Unless, possibly, they slipped on them? Somehow? It's not hard to realize he isn't particularly looking too deep into the wording at all.

The single subject that could silence his amusement comes from Aylin's very mouth next. His lips tighten into a straight line, and his brows furrow slightly as she asks of the snatchers. His expression slowly morphs into something overwhelmingly serious then - it's an obvious danger and there was no room to dance around it. Even if what he knew was about as much as she did, herself. "Snatchers are... I can't be certain. They're obviously a danger, but little to no one has seen one before. And those who have have not lived to tell the tale." He lets out a slow exhale then, eyes drifting past her and to the wilderness. "I think we'll know when we see one. Though I still wish I could have some kind of description to base them around." Campion drifts into a silence - open to whatever Aylin may say about his words, although he tacks on quickly, "I'm sure traveling together will offer us more awareness to our surroundings, and with that, safety." Or, at least he'd hope so.

Word Count
Tagged
@Aylin

5.5  9.5  8  68 
ATKDEFDAMHP
 Pegasus 
SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
960ʜs
HS

Aylin

Warden of the Isles

aylin

Oh, he was a dead man.

She waited, as he did, for him to fall quiet to make room for her own response, and it would be a bitter bite for him to swallow.

Her kind eyes, shimmers of gold and blue, began to simmer. Incensed, she fixed her glower on him coldly. "And I suppose you cannot fight with hooves and kicks, as you were slumped over in the grass like some war-torn veteran!" she snapped, her chin recoiling with her hurt and her ears laying back against her skull. The offense was clear, and the white curls of Aylin's tail lashed with blistering agitation. "In any case," the mare huffed out, "you warriors would not last past one loss were it not for we healers - so, yes, we do fight our own battle. And it is a difficult and complicated one, at that, unless you would like to encourage us to be careless with our tasks, and for your next poultice to be packed with poison!" Not that she was quite yet any certifiable apothecary or alchemist, but she stood strong with their cause, regardless.

A pause was taken to fix him, sharper still, with her gaze. "And I assure you, I know more than just the herbs in the Heartwood - my hooves tasted impact before they sampled the delicate job of herbology. I suggest you remember that, Campion."

Sniffling pointedly, she righted herself and straightened her neck with a huffy snort, her forelegs digging crescents into the ground with such agitation that one might think she was crushing a roach beneath her heel. Satisfied with her outburst, she pushed on to the next topic, and her anger seemed to quell considerably fast. For a fleeting moment, her wings materialized at her withers, but were just as quick to dissipate. A flicker of blue that almost seemed like a warning. Regardless, she smoothed herself over and forced her tail to lie still against her hocks.

When her eyes returned to him, they were softer than before, and it seemed she had forgiven him just as quickly as she had reprimanded him. "And they... killed the Wardens, correct? Or, at the very least, one of the Wardens." A heavy breath was taken, her brow narrowing as she projected her frustration into something else. "It seems a dangerous job to be a leader," but then again, that went without saying.

Aylin nodded in agreement. The pegasus had no doubts at all that they would know one if they saw it. From what she understood, they were corporeal beings intended to invoke fear, but that was the extent of silver's fundamental knowledge. Another subject to dedicate her studies to, in any case. Moreover, one to religiously invest her time in should they become a prominent threat to the future Wardens presently undergoing their elections.

She quirked her brow then as she regarded him, her chin lifting. "Yes, well, you may need protecting from more than just the snatcher's, Campion," her voice carried a lilt of amusement, mixed with warning, but she was confident she would've broken through his understanding. "As I will happily throw you into the ocean, thank you very much!"

Tagged: @Campion | Words: 531 | speech | Notes: HE ANGERED IT

RAY-GUNZ
(This post was last modified: 09-07-2018, 08:38 PM by Aylin.)

5.5  9  8  68 
ATKDEFDAMHP
 Equine 
SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
1,705ʜs
HS

Campion

Warden of the Isles

CAMPION

Oh... Oh? Oh. Oh. She was not happy about that. Not one bit. Was it something he said? The further she angrily words her frustration and hurt the more he understands, and now she has his undivided attention. Eyes are wide and they never move from her own, as much attentive as he was alarmed. His mouth opens, sputtering silence and brief, incomplete words in his attempt to reply to certain things she shares, brows knitting but never able to impede on her vent. In the end, it's only the vague explanation of hooves against impact that she states that finally quells his thoughts and desire to retaliate with his own choice words. It makes him think - something he obviously needs to do more of - and with pinned ears he turns to rip his gaze away and focus on the distance now. A mix of anger and guilt nagging at his gut, yet uncertain of just how to approach those feelings to her just yet. Or never. Never sounded better.

He doesn't look back to her after she does, nor as he notices her voice ease back to its usual tone. Instead his lips seem to be permanently scowled, yet not so much pouting about being reprimanded as much as it's similar - if not more intense - to the look he has whenever he's focused and thinking. Awkwardly, he allows his attention and answer to slide past the previous subject and onto the snatchers.

"Yes." To the fact of the death of the Warden, or Wardens. Yes to the fact it was a dangerous job to be a leader. Sea-green eyes slowly turn to look toward her without movement of his skull, though it's quick to flick away with her ending words and a roll of his eyes follows, feigning anger and frustration whilst the emotion in his eyes remains shameful. "Very well... Let's be on our way, then. I can hardly wait to be thrown." Not exactly statedly ironically or sarcastically - more unplaceable than anything else. He takes a few slow steps toward their next destination, hoping she'd eventually follow or take the lead herself.

rest in PIECES BOY

Word Count
Tagged
@Aylin

(This post was last modified: 09-07-2018, 09:28 PM by Campion.)

5.5  9.5  8  68 
ATKDEFDAMHP
 Pegasus 
SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
960ʜs
HS

Aylin

Warden of the Isles

aylin

As he avoided her eyes, she found herself combating with feeling bad. Maybe he hadn't meant to be offensive, perhaps it had been a comment out of genuine misunderstanding. She was just as quick to reprimand herself for her guilt. Where would she get in life if she did not stand up for what she believed in?

But then again, where would she be if she hounded all of her friends away for a touchy temper and a lacking sense of humor? It was a conflict, to say the least.

Huffily, she flicked her tail and returned her attention to the stallion as he spoke. Just in time to catch the roll of his eyes, which voided any desire to apologize to him for her outburst. Snorting quietly to hint that she had caught sight of the response, she nonetheless pricked her ears to listen as he spoke. "I am glad we both look forward to it," she retorted, shouldering by him with her head held high and making her way for the shoreline. She was adamant to lead the way, even if he - as a Morthalion warrior - was likely more aware of Eastwatch than she.

Before long, she slowed her pace to walk beside the wounded stallion, though her gaze remained focused ahead until water was in sight. She then sought to angle their path towards the panhandle of the continent. Desperate to mend the silence, whether she had caused it or not, she eventually spoke up.

"You have never been to Ard Maleficar, either," more of a statement than anything, and Aylin chewed the inside of her cheek as she mused quietly. Inevitably, a question crossed her mind, and she turned her muzzle toward him. "I still do not understand why you do not just stay in Morthalion to help the people there?" carefully, the mare sidestepped a fallen log as they walked. "If I already had my place among the people, I am not sure I would give it up so quickly, just to be a stranger in a new place."

As much as she loved adventure, Aylin had always wondered if she would enjoy it quite so much if she had a place to call home. A place that she had grown with. But no, the silver mare was born to walk the roads - perhaps that was why she was so keen to travel. For that reason, she wondered if it would be at all possible for her to settle her roots within Eventide. Or would she simply be ripped from the earth, the soil too weak to confine her to the island, no matter how much it presently called to her? They were all reasons for worry, as the world seemed more and more dangerous for one to wander alone.

Offhandedly, she gestured with her muzzle. "Eastwatch should be up ahead somewhere, though I believe we are rather far off... correct me, if I am wrong." She somehow wondered if he would ever correct her again, however. The thought brought a smirk of laughter to her lips.

"Just so you know, I will not throw you into the ocean," she glanced at him from her periphery. "I did not mean that," though, in truth, she wondered if she would even have the upper hand to do so.

Tagged: @Campion | Words: 552 | speech | Notes: :kissing:

RAY-GUNZ

5.5  9  8  68 
ATKDEFDAMHP
 Equine 
SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
1,705ʜs
HS

Campion

Warden of the Isles

CAMPION

A scowl pulls at his lips to reveal a flash of pearly white molars - yet just as quick he turns his head so as not to further the passive argument as much as part of him almost wants to.

Luckily for him, as she shoulders past him the desire is gone as quickly as it'd been bred, instead replaced with a hard wince, following a length or so from her. He's quiet for the remainder of their time together, and he has no outward objections to her slowing her pace to settle in beside him. Still, he purposefully leaves some distance between them, and even as the water comes into sight he's not paying much attention to his surroundings; simply where he's walking directly.

A sigh escapes his nostrils as she speaks up, though it's not one of annoyance. He's not so certain himself what has it leaving his lungs, but he does reply. "They're safe. They have a leader." Simple as that - or perhaps it wasn't so, but he doesn't appear to have much else to give her aside from those simple six words.

His head finally lifts past whatever halfway point it was hanging as she mentions their destination, and he takes a good moment or so to gather the bearings he does have of the land. "We need to keep right when the road splits off. And then we'll find Eastwatch at the end." He nods to the road, and continues on as they are.

Though brows still knit, they soften a bit at the end of her words, but he doesn't look back at her. "I wouldn't have blamed you for it."

Word Count
Tagged
@Aylin

(This post was last modified: 09-08-2018, 11:04 PM by Campion.)

5.5  9.5  8  68 
ATKDEFDAMHP
 Pegasus 
SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
960ʜs
HS

Aylin

Warden of the Isles

aylin

As the quiet settled over them, so still she could hear the pumping of her heartbeat, she found herself feeling more and more ashamed for having scolded him so harshly. In truth, she was surprised he responded to her words at all. The sigh was noted, and no matter its purpose, it did well to bring her to uncharacteristically avert her eyes ahead of her, almost apologetically. But that did not halt her curiosity, her penchant for questions, from eventually rearing its head.

A pause was taken as he affirmed their directions, and quietly she nodded. When the fork in the road arrived, obediently the pegasus hung to the right. She chewed the inside of her cheek ever so slightly. "I should not have gone off on you so sharply," she began first and foremost, shaking her head. "That was uncalled for." It took several long seconds, but the next words inevitably reached an overflow and she could no longer keep them at bay. "I apologize. And I will throw myself in the ocean, instead," a hopeful chuckle followed, but it was awkward and forced.

A few moments were taken in quiet before she pressed on, rounded back to his initial words with the insatiable need for answers.

"In any case, as you were saying... lacking a leader means you choose to go?" she questioned with genuine interest - and then, a thought hit her. "Did you petition King Hessander for the position?" her voice lowered as though it were some secret, but in truth, she wished to know what was within the walls of the keep. How grand Hessander's chaise was, how lavish the court and how adorned the walls were, how decorated the people.

But you attract more flies with honey than vinegar, and she had surely doused the both of them in the latter. She doubted he would respond. He certainly was not obligated to, anymore than she had been forced to snap at him. More and more she found guilt settling over her in a cloak, her skin layered like a trifle of sweat and apology. Lumenor was not quite as hot as the months to come, but as they walked and as her thoughts ate away at her - and as she suffered the intermittent, uncomfortable silences - it seemed uncharacteristically warm.

It would seem, to Aylin, that they could not get to Ard Maleficar soon enough, as she was certain the remainder of the journey would maintain its awkward tune.

Tagged: @Campion | Words: 413 | speech | Notes: bop

RAY-GUNZ
(This post was last modified: 09-09-2018, 01:13 AM by Aylin.)