BUFF
960ʜs
HS

Aylin

Warden of the Isles

TELL ME, ATLAS—WHICH IS HEAVIER:
THE WORLD, OR ITS PEOPLE'S HEARTS?

m

No matter the ache of her bones, the throbbing of sore muscles, she pursued her goal tirelessly. Her wings had spread over the expanse of the ocean, the sea breeze favoring her path and guiding her along, lifting her, breathless, above the blue below. She had arrived in Grimnodas nearly an hour ago, retracing the steps she and Campion had once taken along the outskirts of Morthalion with a fond smile. Things were different now--Wardens sent scouts and warriors to patrol their borders, and she would be mindful and respectful of that. Now, she lingered in a glade within view of the beach. 

A moments rest was all she needed, she assured herself. Nothing would ever be accomplished if her steps were weighed down by fatigue; what goal could be achieved if she stumbled face first into the dirt? No, she would brace her body against a tree now, heaving a slow breath as sunset painted violet over the clouded sky. It was still light out, promise that there was still time to find something, someone today. There was no clock on her task, yet still, she could not help her eagerness. Her misplaced enthusiasm to help as many as she could, as efficiently as she could.

No face was a stranger to her anymore, and though she had yet to feel as though she were a stranger to herself, she could not help the minimal dread that had rooted in her gut. What would happen if she did, ultimately, succumb to whatever chaos her gift would lay over her? What if she failed the test she had been tasked to pass?

Who would she be then?

Shaking her head to clear her thoughts, the mare lifted her muzzle heavenward. Her eyes rested where the stars glittered, peeking out from a multicolored canvas, dancing behind the white clouds that lingered in the sky. She smiled, even as she sorely leaned her bruised side against the trunk of a tree.

She would always be herself, so long as she had the sky to dance with.

l

Tagged: @Avallac'h  | Speech

I WOULD HAVE BROKE MY HEART IN TWO
TO SAVE PART OF YOU

5  11  5  65 
ATKDEFDAMHP
 Unicorn 
SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
70ʜs
HS

Avallac'h

Wanderer

The king wears a crown studded with
jewels of every life he has ended

After all the spars and his own unexpected run-in with the Totem Eska on the Archipelago, Avallac'h has found his mind constantly running. When he first came here following Huntington all he wanted to do was rest, but that has slowly transitioned into go go go. And it's not something he's necessarily done out of his own free-will.

It's almost as if the entire land of Nordlys is in constant motion. It was draining.

He found himself always wanting to get away, to go somewhere he could breathe. Morthalion did not allow that, and so he has found that he will wander from the cobbled streets and inn to go to the outer lands of the city. Doing so always brought back memories of his time constantly wandering. Before Caeleste and everything that led to now. Despite the memories, he still continues to escape the city. To ease the uneasiness that would grow inside, and remove the sounds of the hustle and bustle of everyday life.

He had not wandered far from the city this time. Its city is still distinguishable, but it isn't long before trees shrowd it. He breathes in the air, the saltiness of the sea weaving through the trees he walks through. He forces his shoulders to relax.

He meets no one while he walks, at least not until he comes across a blue-winged woman. One who is leaning heavily on a tree. Avallac'h continues closer, ears forward in interest.

“Need a hand?” He questions as he walks closer up from behind her. 

@Aylin

5.5  9.5  8  68 
ATKDEFDAMHP
 Pegasus 
SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
960ʜs
HS

Aylin

Warden of the Isles

m

It was always so simple for her to become captivated by her thoughts; by her perpetual dreamscape outlook. That was how it was now, the faux image of fireflies dancing over her gaze as she envisioned a glade-enveloped sunset. Flowers warmed by the hues of the fading sun, illuminated by the pulsing glow of insects. It brought a smile to her face, and all that could stir her from her reverie was the sound of a voice behind her.

Startled, she turned her head quickly. A cloaked stallion stood before her, his eyes likened to the moon that hung in the sky, black painted over his muzzle in broad stripes. Her once over revealed something else about him, as well, something almost indiscernible in the shadow of his red cape: bandaging on his hind legs. Did she need a hand? Certainly not; but he might.

"Good evening," she answered, a breathless smile parting her lips as she looked upon the other equine, her eyes soft. Pivoting in place to face him entirely, and to remove her weight from the bough of the tree, Aylin shook her head gently. "Oh! No, no, I am alright--thank you, though."

Unable to help herself, her eyes slid down to the bandaging on his leg, and her brow creased in concern. There was no notable scent from the presumable wound underneath, but she could not quite still her worry. It seemed far worse than any of the bruises she donned could possibly be. "But what about you?"  she found herself asking, nodding almost apologetically to his hind leg. "Are you alright, sir?" Unless the light was tricking her eyes, the binding seemed loose and old, inspiring more concern than before.

Meeting his gaze once more, she found herself searching his expression of her own volition. Seeking something in the pallor of his lunar stare.

l

TO SAVE PART OF YOU

5  11  5  65 
ATKDEFDAMHP
 Unicorn 
SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
70ʜs
HS

Avallac'h

Wanderer

He hadn't expected for her to startle in such a way (but really what else should he expect walking up behind someone like this?). Despite the jump, she smiles at him nonetheless and he offers one in return, albeit much weaker than her own. She assures him that she is fine, and even though he just ran into her, he has a feeling she is right. There's an energy to her that says she isn't stopped so easily. Besides, he isn't able to see anything wrong aside from the fact that she was leaning rather heavily on the tree beside her. He hums lightly. “If you are sure.” He mutters.

It isn't long before her eyes slide from his face, and he immediately knows where they are going. An ear flickers back. He doesn't look at his own leg himself, but he does shift it. Numb, numb, numb. He shakes his head at her concern. There was no need for her to worry.

“The wrapping is there more for the sake of others.” He begins to explain. The two wounds underneath almost looked as new as the day he received them. Open and raw looking, he is glad they did not still bleed. He doesn't like thinking of them much. Huntington had only been able to change the wrappings after consistent nagging. “Old wounds that no longer cause any pain.” They had in the beginning. It was only after two weeks of intense treatment that the strongest parts of the spell thrown at him had faded, leaving behind a piece that would never allow the wounds to actually heal. Bothersome, and not the most pleasant things to look at, but his leg was fully numb, so it mattered little.

“I assure you though, it are of no concern. I've had them for a long time.” A lifetime it would seem, and yet he can clearly remember the day he gained them. Like said before though, it seemed like a lifetime ago and it was best not to dwell on it. Nothing could be done now for the wounds.

@Aylin

5.5  9.5  8  68 
ATKDEFDAMHP
 Pegasus 
SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
960ʜs
HS

Aylin

Warden of the Isles

m

Lilacs blossomed in the sky as Cosmo lulled the sun to sleep, haloing the clouds in rims of violet and orange. But even as the stars winked behind the darkening stretch overhead, Aylin felt incredibly and wholly awake. She regarded the stallion with certainty, a warm smile offered as kind reassurance as he responded.  

She detected something that she could only liken to exasperation within the stallion—and yet, not quite that. He answered her readily, words that he had spoken a thousand times; the silver mare could tell that much without the help of sorcery. A long time, he said. How long? What blade could manifest a cut so deep it lasted long enough to become unchangeable—such a norm to him that his response seemed rehearsed? Aylin’s gaze softened, her brow creasing in sympathy, and she offered a small dip of her head.

As seamless as the melting hues of the heavens, Aylin steered her words elsewhere, content to guide the stallion from old topics. He exuded such a confidence about him that it was difficult to sense much else, and for a rare moment she found herself captivated by an urge to lift her head high, to square her shoulders, and to stretch to the utmost pinnacle of her height.

Within her, he stirred the desire to be brave.

And she wondered if that was who he had been—who he was, still—when he received that age old wound. A warrior, clad in red and gilt in gold, lunging with lithe ferocity at his opponents. She had never held any desire to partake or to witness war, nor had she ever seen the glory in combat, but she could envision him perfectly.

“Your cloak is lovely,” she found herself saying, her eyes lifting to gaze into the arctic depths of his own. The exterior that emanated a mysterious certainty gave way to something else, something she had difficulty identifying. Where she had been instantaneously grasped by the feelings of those she had encountered before, she found what she sensed now to be... almost unplaceable. Aylin's brow drew together slightly, and she slowly averted her gaze. His disposition was minute in comparison to those she had felt before, identifed at such a low frequency that his emotions were was dimmed to her. Insofar as she could tell, his controlled collection was as much an outer appearance as it was his true self.

Old wounds that no longer cause any pain, he had said.
She wondered, now, just how true that statement was.

But there was no need, no reason, to pry for any more. It would not be a foreign concept to think that, as the years had past, he had come to terms with his 'old wounds' on his own time and in his own way. But she could offer something else, at the very least. In the sustained quiet, the silver mare moved to stand parallel to him, leaving several feet between them and gazing at the sky as the blanket of stars grew in their opacity. "I am Aylin," she spoke finally, offering a kind introduction.

Otherwise, she kept still and silent. As her eyes appraised the beauty stretched out before her, she tapped into the contentment she felt when her wings brushed those clouds, when the perspiring dew of the sky glistened across her pelt—the sheer freedom she felt in those moments when the chain of gravity snapped and released her from the ground.

And as she had before, the silver mare coaxed forward the weak light Eska had called upon and shared those feelings with him, the mellowed tranquility of life. As one would offer the warm flicker of a flame, Aylin focused hard on projecting, sharing, the geniality of her own memories.

Only when a swath of nausea knotted her stomach did she halt her efforts, turning her head slightly to cast another smile at the stallion. Whether she had succeeded or not, she supposed his reaction would attest to that. And if she had triumphed in her attempt, it would not be unlikely that the grulla man would be fleetingly overcome with the same reassuring serenity that Aylin felt.

l

TO SAVE PART OF YOU

5  11  5  65 
ATKDEFDAMHP
 Unicorn 
SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
70ʜs
HS

Avallac'h

Wanderer

Your cloak is lovely. The words cause a small smile to form, and while he hadn't looked back at his leg when she spoke of it he does glimpse at his cloak quickly. Despite his traveling, it was almost the same as the day he got it. It was durable enough to stand the test of time. The only blemish was the dark mend by his throat, a rip created during his spar with Huntington. She had offered to mend it herself, but he had disagreed that day, going to get it fixed at Morthalion not long after.

It carried a lifetime of memories. He still wonders if he should get rid of it.

Pupiless eyes gaze upward at the woman as she moves to his side. He remains still and silent. Aylin is her name, and he finds it fitting. Light and simple. He gives a small nod in greeting “I am Avallac'h.” He tells her, voice oddly gentle. It's as if the moment calls for him to be. This is also the second time he has given someone his full name in Nordlys; she is the second person who he has given his full name to. He felt it fitting, in a strange way. He couldn't place why, but it is as if she should know -- as if she deserved that much. Most in Nordlys only knew him as Vall, but she would be one of the few to know him differently.

“It is a pleasure to meet you, Aylin.” He speaks, and it is true. He says no more, allowing a silent camaraderie falls between them, and it's almost foreign to him. It's been so long since he's simply... stood. He takes in a calming breath. The cool night air is a balm. So foreign yet so familiar. 

It's strange, alien even. Why now of all times? His brow furrows slightly as he stares ahead. He focuses on himself, on his breathing, silencing his thoughts. (A technique taught to him long ago.) A... feeling... energy? No. Maybe? He is unsure. He knows energy though, use to let it seep from his very body and settle inside for later use. He ignores it. He lets out a long breath, one that shows his shoulders visibly relaxing. With this relaxation though comes the feeling of exhaustion. He has been on the move so much lately.

“What brings you here at such a time dear Aylin?” He questions calmly. His voice filled with less tension but also more weariness. White eyes finally settle on the woman by his side, her smile kind. He knows that while she may have said she was fine, she had been leaning on the trunk of the tree for a reason. What could drive one such as he to push themselves so much? Especially at an hour like this.

@Aylin

5.5  9.5  8  68 
ATKDEFDAMHP
 Pegasus 
SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
960ʜs
HS

Aylin

Warden of the Isles

m

Were it not for his mysterious aura, which spoke to her in strange whispers and coalesced into a warm impression of him, she might have been reminded more of her father. As it was, there was certainly something distinctly familiar about him—something that spoke of home. She had never seen him before, of that she was certain, but he ushered in acquainted feelings. It was ironic, in a way, that she had been tasked to help the peoples around her, and yet she felt at peace herself.

Following his gaze to his cloak, and then meeting his haloed stare, the woman smiled in response, though the expression was undoubtedly a lingering characteristic of hers. “A pleasure,” Aylin echoed, dipping her head ever so slightly and savoring the quiet, just as he did.

It was true that she was often inclined to speak at a mile a minute, to open her mouth and babble incessant facts and minuscule details of her day, of what she observed, of what she felt—but that tendency came and went with the company she found herself in. And, of course, with the task at hand. But that was one of her few and far between gifts. She held an aptitude for the arcane, for herbology and alchemy. In company, she could fill silence or leave it be, and never did she endure the awkwardness that some felt. She was content in the quiet, just as she was at home in the chaos of sound. However, she was not a fighter, nor was she particularly graceful in any way; often stumbling over all four limbs as though she were a newborn filly. Her wings lent her some elegance, and her moments in the sky allowed her to masquerade as a nimbus cloud, white and flawless, with softened edges and wisps of ivory. In many ways, she was helpless. In others, she was entirely capable.

It was for that reason that she knew, without arrogance, that Eska had chosen the right person for such a gift. Or rather, the Mother’s gentle hand had craftily painted the picture of a woman in white, with an talent for bandaging old, concealed wounds. She was a healer on a path to mending the many lesions of Nordlys' souls.

As the grulla stallion beside her began to relax, so too, did she. The nausea her powers invoked ebbed like the lapping reach of the tide, drawn to and from the moon the more brightly she pulsed. Regardless of the soreness in her muscles, the mare exhaled a mollified breath.

What brings you here…?

The softness of his voice, as calm as the gentle breeze, encouraged her to whisper. As twilight descended upon them, the feather light touch of a voice seemed the only appropriate means of communication.

After a few moments of consideration for her response, she answered. “I live within the Heart of Nordlys now,” came her voice, as delicate as laced silk. “The island of Ard Maleficar. The skies are still boundless to me, however—a wonderful change of scenery,” turning her head slightly, the Silver Wheel’s smile sobered, though its warmth remained potent. “I was sent on a task by Eska, more importantly. To heal wounded souls, but I did not want my help to be limited by the sea. And so I came here.”

Entia’s unguarded responses on the shores of the island had taught her something, and so readily she spoke of her tale, her quest. “I love the sunset over the ocean, and I…” her voice trailed off, suspended in a ephemeral quiet, “Something called me here—and so I came. Now I have met you, so perhaps I was, indeed, not misguided by my gut instincts.” A small laugh bubbled on her lips, and once more she glanced to him. “What of you, Avallac’h? What brings you out here?”

l

Tagged: @Avallac'h  | Speech

TO SAVE PART OF YOU

5  11  5  65 
ATKDEFDAMHP
 Unicorn 
SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
70ʜs
HS

Avallac'h

Wanderer

The island. Yes, he had been there a handful of times now. It was the place he first ran into one of the Totems of Nordlys. She follows this by speaking of the freedom she is granted through the sky, and there is a small part of him that wishes he could relate. To be able to easily leave at the simple, powerful movement of wings -- he would have done anything for that when younger.

His escape would have been effortless then, one that would not have left him shaking and quivering once he finally decided he was far enough from the Crown's grasp. (He never will be though, forever enslaved even though he no longer remains there.) He shifts uncomfortably, disrupting the calmness that has settled inside slightly. He pushes himself to focus more on Aylin.

Ears twitch in interest at the words the younger woman speaks. A task to heal wounded souls? He would comment (possibly laugh even) that some wounds can never be healed, he has a physical example as well as mental ones, but he remains silent. The quiet settles once more. He is fine with leaving it be. 

Something called me here... His gaze turns to her. Her laugh is delicate and welcoming, so different from the many things he has experienced. She looks at him and he finds his gaze moving away. “Nothing as glorious as a task from a Totem.” He speaks, remembering his brief encounter with the Totem Eska, a simple riddle is all he had to solve. He shifts on his feet once more. “A simple need for some... quiet perhaps.” He mused aloud. “While I have no reason to detest Nordlys nor her people, I find the longer I stay the harder it is to... rest.” Something has been building up inside, stirring and keeping him from restful nights of sleep or from enjoying a visit to a tavern.

(He didn't want this feeling to be here, wanted it gone. It brings with it memories of days before the war; days he spent trying to gain an audience with the Crown after being thrown out while also trying to make sure he was prepared, ready for what was to come.)

He lets out a gentle breath. “Nothing I have not dealt with before but to have it return now is inconvenient.” He explains. He tends to not delve too deep into what he is usually feeling, and so he will leave it at that. He'd also normally not give much of what he feels away, but there is no reason to withhold much of it at the moment. It is enough to explain and that is it.

@Aylin

5.5  9.5  8  68 
ATKDEFDAMHP
 Pegasus 
SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
960ʜs
HS

Aylin

Warden of the Isles

Look how the floor of heaven
Is thick inlaid with patines of bright gold;

Fondly, the woman recalled moments of her childhood where she had perched on the sturdy branches of oaks, gazing at the stars above with curious speculation, wondering if a grand lion truly looked down upon them all. Her parents' dedication to the Gods had undoubtedly been hereditary, passing onto their daughter with only a granule of skepticism, and her wildest dreams had come true when she first met Eska. It could only mean that the others were out there, as well--Lars, Fen, Leif... where do they hide? she wondered. Do they fight the Snatchers, as we do? Do they hunger, thirst, sleep? Her brow narrowed as she puzzled through questions she'd had since childhood. When they had come into the world, had their tapestry adorned mother put them to bed with tales of their glorious, nimbus sire? She knew so little of the Totems, so few of the minuscule details that she longed for. Their conjuring was the history of Nordlys; the age-old tale of her homeland.

"A blessing I never would have anticipated," the woman admitted, breathless from her thoughts, dewy-eyed at her profound understanding of just how honored she should have been-- at how honored  she was. Shaking her head slightly to clear her mind and stave off her inspired tears, her smile returned as she regarded Avallac'h. She thought nothing of how he looked away, and comfortably averted her own gaze to give him that space, at the very least. Still, an ear remained attentively panned towards the wizened stallion.

In a way, Aylin thought she could understood his restlessness, even without her extrasensory awareness. No; it had taken her a long time to adapt to life among Eventide, and even now she was not fully accustomed. Indeed, she struggled to find her place among the island herd, if not only because of her imagination. Did she fit in? Did she belong among her peers of scholars and alchemists? She did not know, even still, and she doubted she ever would.

As crepuscular insects and wildlife began their evening chatter, tending to their various chores and stirring from their leafy beds, Aylin spoke softly. "Do you miss your homeland, perhaps?" a pause, her chin inclining slightly. "Or does something prevent you from moving on here?" Her queries were vague, striving to guide him along some intrapersonal path rather than pry him open, force him to spill his innermost secrets to her. That was hardly her desire. If he wished to share his thoughts, she would gladly listen--but the medicine woman would be just as happy to walk away from the encounter knowing she had allowed him to sleep a little easier that night.

Drawing in a slow breath, the night time air filling her lungs, she watched quietly as the ocean water frothed along the shore. "When my mind grows heavy, I look for waterfalls," the silver pegasus offered softly. "To watch the water spill over rocks, to hear the roar of the earth itself as it cleanses, washes minerals and nutrients downstream. Particularly in the winter," she found herself smiling, her head dipping in something akin to embarrassment. "To watch the water freeze over the craggy mountainside, forming javelins of ice. It is beautiful. Almost more than someone can fully appreciate," slowly, her gaze turned back to Avallac'h. "Rainstorms help, too. The pitter-patter of water, the growl of thunder. It can be enough to drown out your thoughts, to lull you to sleep."

Just as she had before, Aylin called forward the sensation of serenity she had found in those moments. Standing on the precipice of a cliff, gazing out at the white clouds and the spilling water, tumbling in a free fall into the rocky lake below. The sound that would drown out all others; mother nature's roar--all of it was enough to offer momentary calm, an analgesic that could numb all else. Weakly, the mare projected her calm onto the red cloaked warrior beside her, just as one might offer to a blanket to a wanderer lost in the snow.

Her attempt lasted only for a few seconds before her powers ebbed, her maximized capacity harshly rebuking her attempts with the stab of a migraine. Nostrils twitching for a fleeting moment, she straightened herself and replaced her smile with ease, once more gazing passively towards the sea.

@Avallac'h, Speech

ART BY FAYREIN

5  11  5  65 
ATKDEFDAMHP
 Unicorn 
SPECIES
 Novice 
BUFF
70ʜs
HS

Avallac'h

Wanderer

Aylin is devoted in a way Avallac'h will never be. Even with her words being so brief on the matter he can hear the awe. He does not understand, but again he grew up in a place where idols were simple statues to which the Crown used as reasons for committing horrible acts. He would never understand.

(He remembers staring at the feet of rising statues, offers around that could feed so many yet none could touch. He remembers cursing their names and asking for a sign that would never come. He remembers it all, and that makes it all the more bitter.)

His ear twitches. Homeland? Please. Lack thereof perhaps, but he would never miss his homeland. He continues to listen. He has no answer to that one, and it irks him. Many things could be seen as the reason but he has been fine so far so why now? His ears flick back, he grows so very tired of this. 

She breathes in, and he does the same. There is a calmness to her that he once had but now can only hope to achieve (it aches on the inside -- why does it ache?) His eyes turn to her as she offers him help in the form of water and noise, a gentle smile graces his lips as she tilts her head down. He looks away soon after, humming in response as he thinks. He had been out more in search of peace in the wilderness of nature, but perhaps he should have been looking somewhere else. In the whiteness of the mountains and such.

A blanket of peace, he feels the muscles in his neck relaxing and his brows furrow once more. So foreign, so strange. Is it her? (He knows it's not him, he hasn't been able to feel like this in some time and it makes grief roll through him because what is wrong?) There is something more to the young woman that stands beside him. He gets the feeling she will do great things. She twitches and as soft as a caress, the feeling begins to ebb. (He would seek refuge in it, remain here for as long as possible, but he cannot.) The restlessness inside has calmed down for now.

(In another life, perhaps he would have been selfish, bring forth old teachings in war and hold Aylin as a crutch to keep away the feeling growing inside, but Avallac'h is not like that and the thought of doing such things does not even cross his mind.)

He shifts his feet once more, white eyes looking at nothing in particular. His thoughts never remain quiet for long, and he is once more swept up in them.“Thank you for your advice, dear Aylin.” He's willing to give what she had said a shot, but he has little hope it will work. He looks to her with a kind smile, a knowing look in his worn eyes. “And thank you for everything else.” He takes a step away, he best be off, leave the peaceful woman to her task. “You have given me much to think on, and I am grateful for it.” He gives a dip of his head, deep respect clear in the movement. “If you ever need help, and we come across each other once again, I will gladly be of service. May the Totem Eska continue to bless you.” And he means it.

@Aylin